+ Reply to Thread

I hate mondays....

Some people can really make you mad.
    I arrive at a job site today to find a small miniature horse. Owner tells me she's 14 years old and he has had her since she was a baby. She looks like she's in her 30's except for her face. The horse is lying down in her stall. The owner struggles to get her upright. As she stands, bits of skin and fur fall off of her. There is a bedsore on her hip so deep you can see muscle and bone. Flies are crawling in and out of the wound I spray her with fly spray and cover the wound best I can with gauze to keep the flies away while I work. I pick up one foot. The smell of rotten flesh and puss hits me so hard I feel like I am going to pass out. As I begin to cut away the extra sole maggots begin to fall out. At this point I feel like I am going to vomit but have to restrain myself. I pare away a tiny bit more and blood gushes out. I tell him to call his vet. He says he does not have one. I ask if I can call my vet. He agrees and allows me to call my vet in. She says she will be there in 45 minutes. Hind feet look alright. But the horse is so underweight and weak, she can barely stand. Her teeth need floated. She cannot chew her food. I trim hind feet no problem. The other front is not as bad as the initial one but again I begin to lightly pare and she instantly begins to bleed. This indicates that her coffin bone (inside the foot) has detached from the lamina (soft interior of the hoof) and the ligaments in her leg pulled the coffin bone until it was facing straight down. From here the coffin bone has sank into the sole of her foot. Vet arrives. Tells the owner same thing (she's underweight. feet are in really bad shape, euthanasia may be an option very soon) But as the owner wants to give her a chance asks the vet to wait. The vet says she will wait a week and then check on her and will reevaluate then. If she does survive this he said he would call me in 6 weeks to be trimmed again.
    He also said IF she lives through this he wants to "unload her as soon as he can"
    damn...just damn....

n00b
    Some people...

n00b
    Proof that some people should be allowed custodianship of no life-form more evolved than a rock...

I'm no St Francis, but I find people that mistreat animals to be thoroughly despicable.

I was just totally at a loss. I have seen bad feet before. Mostly due to ignorance.."my critter isn't supposed to look that way??" but that was ridiculous! I mean in what universe is it okay be able to see the inside of the animal from the OUTSIDE??