+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103057 thoughts on that one?

I was looking at some 120mm coolers that sit flat on the motherboard, but those are going to block one of my ram slots... and I was going to populate those while I had the system down anyway.

2012 Mustang GT Premium 6-speed

Very good reviews on that cooler. 89% are 4 stars or better. As long as it fits there shouldn't be a problem. What type of thermal compound are you going to use?

78 AM General M35A2 deuce and a half - 03 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE
    ~~ Preparing for the inevitable zombie apocalypse since 2009 ~~

Probably arctic silver, it's what I've used in the past. I see there are some new compounds out there but I don't know a lot about them.

Arctic Silver is very good stuff. I've used it a lot in the past as well. If you have some on hand, then I'd say use it again. However, if you need to order some more, I'd recommend getting ZALMAN ZM STG1 Thermal Compound instead. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835118010

As I've stated in the past, (ad nauseum I'm sure) I work at a PC recycling center. At one point someone recycled a box of mixed components including a couple bottles of the Zalman compound. I tried it and used it multiple times since, I'm a firm believer in the stuff. It runs just as cool as the Arctic Silver, but more importantly, it's extremely easy to apply since the bottle is similar to a fingernail polish bottle for a lady (or an emo if you're into that kind of thing). The lid has a brush that allows you to paint a thin layer on the chip. Just be sure to shake the bottle before you apply it.

Remember you'll want a very thin layer of compound between the chip and the cooler. Just enough to fill in the air gap between the two. With Arctic Silver, I'd always apply too much. Even when trying to spread it on with a razor blade. Each time I'd remove the cooler at a later date, the surplus compound had oozed out to the edges of the chip and there was a mess. Also too much compound will insulate the processor and slow heat dissipation. I've had none of these problems with the Zalman stuff.

Just my 2 cents.

I may have an old tube of arctic silver around...

I used to build, rebuild, rig, modify, etc machines quite often. However, these days I only do something maybe once a year and I keep finding everything has changed on me again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Arctic Silver is very good stuff. I've used it a lot in the past as well. If you have some on hand, then I'd say use it again. However, if you need to order some more, I'd recommend getting ZALMAN ZM STG1 Thermal Compound instead. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835118010

As I've stated in the past, (ad nauseum I'm sure) I work at a PC recycling center. At one point someone recycled a box of mixed components including a couple bottles of the Zalman compound. I tried it and used it multiple times since, I'm a firm believer in the stuff. It runs just as cool as the Arctic Silver, but more importantly, it's extremely easy to apply since the bottle is similar to a fingernail polish bottle for a lady (or an emo if you're into that kind of thing). The lid has a brush that allows you to paint a thin layer on the chip. Just be sure to shake the bottle before you apply it.

Remember you'll want a very thin layer of compound between the chip and the cooler. Just enough to fill in the air gap between the two. With Arctic Silver, I'd always apply too much. Even when trying to spread it on with a razor blade. Each time I'd remove the cooler at a later date, the surplus compound had oozed out to the edges of the chip and there was a mess. Also too much compound will insulate the processor and slow heat dissipation. I've had none of these problems with the Zalman stuff.

Just my 2 cents.
    I buy syringe Arctic Silver+ compound and dope it with colloidal iridium and it performs significantly better

It's time to pay the price for the sins of the Emissary.
    Green Blood and Red will be shed at the hands of the Jem'hadar.
    Let's hope the "Old Man" has something to save us.

I have installed the cooler!

Significant drop in temp at idle.
    cowman@ds666:~$ sensors
    atk0110-acpi-0
    Adapter: ACPI interface
    Vcore Voltage: +0.89 V (min = +0.80 V, max = +1.60 V)
    +3.3 Voltage: +3.39 V (min = +2.97 V, max = +3.63 V)
    +5 Voltage: +5.18 V (min = +4.50 V, max = +5.50 V)
    +12 Voltage: +12.26 V (min = +10.20 V, max = +13.80 V)
    CPU FAN Speed: 1776 RPM (min = 600 RPM)
    CHASSIS1 FAN Speed: 0 RPM (min = 600 RPM)
    CHASSIS2 FAN Speed: 0 RPM (min = 600 RPM)
    POWER FAN Speed: 0 RPM (min = 600 RPM)
    CPU Temperature: +32.0C (high = +60.0C, crit = +95.0C)
    MB Temperature: +27.0C (high = +45.0C, crit = +75.0C)

Here's what we see after a few minutes of multiple instances of handbrake using up 100% of all 4 cores..

cowman@ds666:~$ sensors
    atk0110-acpi-0
    Adapter: ACPI interface
    Vcore Voltage: +1.11 V (min = +0.80 V, max = +1.60 V)
    +3.3 Voltage: +3.38 V (min = +2.97 V, max = +3.63 V)
    +5 Voltage: +5.18 V (min = +4.50 V, max = +5.50 V)
    +12 Voltage: +12.21 V (min = +10.20 V, max = +13.80 V)
    CPU FAN Speed: 1776 RPM (min = 600 RPM)
    CHASSIS1 FAN Speed: 0 RPM (min = 600 RPM)
    CHASSIS2 FAN Speed: 0 RPM (min = 600 RPM)
    POWER FAN Speed: 0 RPM (min = 600 RPM)
    CPU Temperature: +47.5C (high = +60.0C, crit = +95.0C)
    MB Temperature: +27.0C (high = +45.0C, crit = +75.0C)

So the cpu is far more chilled than it was before.

Bit of an issue though.. this monster cooler is so tall I can't close the side of the case anymore

No side also helps cool the case. It's win, win!

I dunno, a case with well designed airflow will actually keep the components cooler with the sides installed than off. It depends on the case though..

One really has to see this installed to understand how huge it is....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Break out the Dremmel and put some holes in the door. It'll close then.