+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I spent 20 minutes with a customer on the phone explaining how to "Drag and Drop". You know, the thing Windows has done since the late 1980s?

He didn't know how to get his data off the external drive and back on the new desktop. I kept telling him to click and hold and drag it to the desktop. It literally took 20 minutes.

78 AM General M35A2 deuce and a half - 03 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE
    ~~ Preparing for the inevitable zombie apocalypse since 2009 ~~

I gave up trying to explain drag and drop a long time ago. Now I just tell them to right-click (sometimes you have to repeat that part several times, but it's a net gain on trying to explain D&D) on one of the blue files and hit copy.

n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    I spent 20 minutes with a customer on the phone explaining how to "Drag and Drop". You know, the thing Windows has done since the late 1980s?

He didn't know how to get his data off the external drive and back on the new desktop. I kept telling him to click and hold and drag it to the desktop. It literally took 20 minutes.
    Only 20 minutes? Not bad - I've had days where I'd have been happy to get a call like that...

The phone support I did was Tier 2 - which means that I: 1) wrote the scripts for Tier 1; and 2) Got the calls that weren't covered in the script book (which I was constantly updating.)

I've literally asked questions like "You did what to the entire RAID array? Cool! How'd you manage to do that?"

That's never a good sign when you hear 2nd tier say "Cool! How'd you manage to do that?", but I guess it depends on what product/company you are working on.
    -unixdude
    Your mind is like a parachute, it works much better when it is open.
    Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance (the 7 p's)
    Code:
     _     _ __   _ _____ _     _ ______  _     _ ______  _______
     |     | | \  |   |    \___/  |     \ |     | |     \ |______
     |_____| |  \_| __|__ _/   \_ |_____/ |_____| |_____/ |______

BTW, I usually refer First Tier as "the Receptionist" ; I tell 'em whatever it takes to get past 'em as quick as I can.
    -unixdude
    Your mind is like a parachute, it works much better when it is open.
    Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance (the 7 p's)
    Code:
     _     _ __   _ _____ _     _ ______  _     _ ______  _______
     |     | | \  |   |    \___/  |     \ |     | |     \ |______
     |_____| |  \_| __|__ _/   \_ |_____/ |_____| |_____/ |______

n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by unixdude View Post
    BTW, I usually refer First Tier as "the Receptionist" ; I tell 'em whatever it takes to get past 'em as quick as I can.
    Yeah, I know what you mean. There were probably a half-dozen clients who were automatically escalated to me when they called in, just because it was faster for me to handle them directly than it was for them to run through Tier 1 and find out that Tier 1 couldn't help them.

Then, there were the VERY few clients who I knew I could swear on th ephone, give them shit about the failure, and whatever else - because they'd do the same to me, and we'd both blow off steam that way (I'm the same way with my counterman - when the conversation starts with me walking in and yelling "What up, Ugly?" he knows he'll get to download. I understand - I spend three and a half years behind the parts counter myself...)