+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What's worse, a virus or the people that get them?

I am so sick of working on people's virus infected computers. I swear you should have a license to operate a computer.

Just got another dingleberry in here wanting me to remove a virus. He's mad because he had a virus last year as and lost everything after it was determined reinstalling Windows was easier than attempting to recover from the virus infection. Now he's back again with the same problem. Do you think the dingleberry bothered doing any kind of backups since his last infection? NO! Now he expects me to fix his system and recover his precious data.

I cannot emphasize this enough. If you have data you don't want to loose, BACK IT UP!

78 AM General M35A2 deuce and a half - 03 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE
    ~~ Preparing for the inevitable zombie apocalypse since 2009 ~~

And that's why I quit doing computer work. People can't follow advice and learn to do the simple things, then expect miracles when they snot it up by clicking every link they see in Facebook, Myspace, and every email they get.
    RIP my child 6/20/04 - 3/12/10

Install MS security essentials before it leaves and turn all the auto-update shit on... and maybe make him a seperate user account and forget to give him the admin password

2012 Mustang GT Premium 6-speed

I do the other stuff. Locking out the admin account is tempting!

I also try to educate people on the risks of using IE and install Firefox and Chrome as alternative browsers. Unfortunately people are usually stuck in their ways and go right back to IE. :nono:

78 AM General M35A2 deuce and a half - 03 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE
    ~~ Preparing for the inevitable zombie apocalypse since 2009 ~~

I've gone as far as removing all IE shortcuts, putting an IE-like theme over Firefox, and changing the Firefox icon to the IE icon...

Chrome updates it's self pretty much on the fly without user intervention though...

2012 Mustang GT Premium 6-speed

You are looking at the issue from the wrong perspective. You actually WANT people to get viruses - it's called "job security" for you! Each time Mr/Mrs Dingleberry come back, it's cha-ching!
    -unixdude
    Your mind is like a parachute, it works much better when it is open.
    Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance (the 7 p's)
    Code:
     _     _ __   _ _____ _     _ ______  _     _ ______  _______
     |     | | \  |   |    \___/  |     \ |     | |     \ |______
     |_____| |  \_| __|__ _/   \_ |_____/ |_____| |_____/ |______

Other than their butthurt at having to spend $$$ on their PC

It's time to pay the price for the sins of the Emissary.
    Green Blood and Red will be shed at the hands of the Jem'hadar.
    Let's hope the "Old Man" has something to save us.

n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    I am so sick of working on people's virus infected computers. I swear you should have a license to operate a computer.

Just got another dingleberry in here wanting me to remove a virus. He's mad because he had a virus last year as and lost everything after it was determined reinstalling Windows was easier than attempting to recover from the virus infection. Now he's back again with the same problem. Do you think the dingleberry bothered doing any kind of backups since his last infection? NO! Now he expects me to fix his system and recover his precious data.

I cannot emphasize this enough. If you have data you don't want to loose, BACK IT UP!
    There's a very good reason I'm out of the computer biz.

Things like the self-styled "expert" who can do anything with windoze, but calls me to get help to install a printer.

Or the utter twonk that doesn't do backups, get nailed with a polymorphic boot sector virus, makes me have to put his computer into a Petri dish and rebuilt the Windoze Registry by hand over the course of a week, and doesn't want to pay the bill to get his data back (I made sure he saw where I put the disc - in my desk drawer, right under my M1991A1. You pay the bill, you can have your data. It's not my fault it took me forty hours to recover it...)

Or the idiots that required a site visit because they'd kicked a cord out of the socket - AGAIN - and called in - AGAIN - and didn't listen to me tell them to plug the cord in - AGAIN - and griped about charging the six hours for the callout (two to drive up, two to drive back, two-hour minimum) - AGAIN. For the fifth time this month, and it's only the 20th.

n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by ronman View Post
    I've gone as far as removing all IE shortcuts, putting an IE-like theme over Firefox, and changing the Firefox icon to the IE icon...
    Why? You're going to give FireFox and inferiority complex...