+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Heh,

As I will probably state many times on this site, I work at a computer recycling center. One of the perks is being able to buy various electronics.

Rewind about 5 years. PC Magazine had an article on budget laptops. One such computer tested was a store branded machine called Great Quality. It was anything but great and the quality sucked. It was such a bad machine that it could not complete most tests it was given. In fact, they had to return the laptop two times before they could get one to even boot. Fry's sold this machine as one of those "Laptops Starting At..." machines you would see in the paper. The whole idea was to get people in the store, then the salespeople could up sell them a real laptop.

Apparently someone actually bought one of these anemic laptops and I'm now the proud owner! It took a little over a day to reinstall Windows XP on it and it's something to behold. The specs are: AMD 500MHz Athlon, 128MB of RAM (but only 96MB useable due to the integrated video card) 20GB HDD, 80 minute battery life, a 14" LCD and VIA integrated graphics. Keep in mind this was during a time that most laptops were running a 2.0GHz Pentium 4 and 512MB of RAM. Basically you took a current system of the time and cut everything down by 75% and then expected it to run Windows XP with Service Pack 2.

It's a world class POS. I always wanted one after reading PC Magazine's article but couldn't justify spending $200 on an unusable machine. In fact, the $25 I did spend on it wasn't worth it, but it's fun to whip out and show friends just how long it takes too boot. Not to mention trying to open a browser.
    Last edited by Jinx; 01-12-2012 at 07:59 PM.

78 AM General M35A2 deuce and a half - 03 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE
    ~~ Preparing for the inevitable zombie apocalypse since 2009 ~~

I've got you beat.

I ran into a Pentium 133 Overdrive in the wild two weeks ago. It was still being used for quick books. The capacitor whine was audible.

I actually had a 386 up until 2001 {I was born in 89}, but I didn't use it for anything other than DOS gaming. It had a bunch of early-mid 80s games on it, like Paratrooper, Flightmare, and some King Kong game.

DOSBox is you friend

Even Steam uses it to run old shit you buy on Steam...

I have XP many OEM Dell. Boot from XP CD delete boot partition reformat and load XP U get option for size it leaves the balance unformatted