+ Reply to Thread

Arcade Machines, What are you playing?

Got to love those old skool arcade machines! I collect them. Since most old arcade games can be downloaded and played on cell phones, computers, etc., the bottom has really dropped out on the arcade machine market.

My latest acquisition is Batman (1990, Atari)

It's a very rare game that was never ported to home consoles. Rumor has it that less than 1000 of these machines were built. The machine was technically a conversion upgrade. If you happen to see a Batman arcade machine, chances are it started out it's life as another machine and was converted. (Conversions were designed to let vendors get a little more money out of a machine without having to buy a brand new one.)

The game itself it mediocre, but challenging. As a huge Batman fan, I'm really glad to own it!

I still LOVE playing Super Mario Brothers. For some reason this machine has never wound up in my hands. I've tried on two separate occasions to purchase it, but nothing has developed. In one case, I was at the guy's house and the machine quit working.

I do own a Playchoice 10 which has the home version of Super Mario Brothers, but it's not as challenging. Playchoice 10, built by Nintendo, was a machine built to capitalize on the NES craze. Nintendo figured that not everyone could afford their home console and released this machine. Players could play one or as many games the system had to offer as long as they still had time on the clock. $.25 generally bought you 4 minutes of play time. (There is a DIP setting on the motherboard that lets the vendor alter the amount of time given per quarter deposited. I set mine to Free Play.)

It's basically an arcade machine that plays the home versions of NES games. (Unfortunately an NES game cartridge is not compatible with the PC-10 motherboard. PC-10 games look more like PCI cards for a computer motherboard.) Nintendo released a total of 47 games that could be mixed and matched for each machine. A few games mine has are Super Mario Brothers (home version), Contra, Metroid, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Dr. Mario, Fester's Quest, Super Mario Brothers 3, and three others that are so unimportant I forgot what they are.

I have a couple other machines as well, but my fingers are getting tired. heh

78 AM General M35A2 deuce and a half - 03 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE
    ~~ Preparing for the inevitable zombie apocalypse since 2009 ~~

I flipped a Ms. Pacman a few months ago because I saw it "free to a good home" on CL around here.

I've fixed the Tatung/Samsung CRTs that go in them for a buddy in the past.

That's cool!

Most of my arcade nostalgia comes from beat-em-ups like the TMNT games and X-Men, though Capcom put out some great ones.

~Matt Booker

Yeah, all of the TMNT side scrollers were so farking fun. I actually am downloading a rom of the SNES TMNT IV right now because this reminded me of it.

It's a bit newer than I usually buy, but I really want to get at Turtles in Time Arcade machine. That game was full of win!

78 AM General M35A2 deuce and a half - 03 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE
    ~~ Preparing for the inevitable zombie apocalypse since 2009 ~~

I really want an Area 51 arcade cabinet, but I have more important things to spend my money on right now, like school.

you saw nothing....
    arcade thisgs are cool but i never could own the box although if i did some driving game like initial d ver.3 , or super puzzle fighter