+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    I learned something interesting today while working on the Jeep. And by working on the Jeep, I mean paying a backyard mechanic to work on the Jeep while I watched.

The block numbers show it has a 292 cubic inch 6 cylinder. Apparently it's the same block as the 250, but has a bigger bore.

78 AM General M35A2 deuce and a half - 03 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE
    ~~ Preparing for the inevitable zombie apocalypse since 2009 ~~

you saw nothing....
    shit i think if its the Chevy 292 they were put in trucks usually..

The Jeep is mostly ready. I still haven't fixed the headlights, but it's going to a shop on Monday.

All things considered, it's pretty scarey to drive. All around drum brakes, manual steering and you sit on the right side. There's no feeling of safety that I'm used to having in my Mercury. Plus the ol' POS is older than I am and has had less reconstructive surgery as well. How safe could it really be? :gulp:

n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    The Jeep is mostly ready. I still haven't fixed the headlights, but it's going to a shop on Monday.

All things considered, it's pretty scarey to drive. All around drum brakes, manual steering and you sit on the right side. There's no feeling of safety that I'm used to having in my Mercury. Plus the ol' POS is older than I am and has had less reconstructive surgery as well. How safe could it really be? :gulp:
    If you don't want it, I'll take it instead. I've been wanting a Dispatcher anyhow!

I need a replacement vehicle first. Sort of need it for my job.

Jinx, have you done any research into disc brake conversions, or rear axle swaps (to something with more modern drums with actual parts availability?)

No Ronman. I'm going to abuse this truck and put it away wet, as they say. I really don't want to sink any money into it. Just enough to make it run.

If you find out what axles it has I remember seeing pretty detailed guides to do this on an International scout with Dana 44s

2012 Mustang GT Premium 6-speed

Engine is confirmed. It's a 250 cubic inch inline 6 cylinder that was used in a 1965ish Chevelle. At least according to the water pump, which was just replaced. Fuel pump is also getting changed. Stupid little POS is costing me more money than I'm making. :mad face:

Used the Jeep for the first time on the mail route today. Only had the brakes completely fail one time.

Turns out it was missing a cotter pin that holds the brake pedal to the master cylinder. I found out after slowing to about 10 miles an hour and signalling to make a right turn. Needless to say I didn't attempt the turn and instead popped the Jeep into neutral and coasted to a stop. Ace Hardware was just a couple blocks up the road. a quick walk over and I was back on the road after about 20 minutes.