+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ronman View Post
    Wow, your post offices are hiring? Must be need-based, because they're in hiring freeze mode here for the last year and a half.
    Yeah, it's part time, but I'll take what I can get.

78 AM General M35A2 deuce and a half - 03 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE
    ~~ Preparing for the inevitable zombie apocalypse since 2009 ~~

Good luck on the job! Hope it works out!

Thank you Tessa.

you saw nothing....
    a friend has one fixed it up and set it up to look like a military mail type truck came out awesome

you saw nothing....
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    The lifespan varies on these trucks as much as any other vehicle. With that said, it's not uncommon for the military to sell them at 30k to 60k miles and as long as you do regular maintenance they should last at least twice as long. Not too many people drive them on a daily basis so I only know a couple people that have over 100K miles on them. The bodies usually rust out long before that. (Lousy rustproofing)

Insurance is a tricky one. As long as you don't haul anything in it, you can get collector plates and use collector vehicle insurance. That's what I do through an insurance company called Traveller's Insurance. Though you need to contact a local office since they won't have a listing for an M35A2 on their website. A local agent will need pictures, registration and what not before getting it insured. I pay a little under $200 a year for full coverage collector vehicle insurance. It's cheap because they know I won't be using it much because of the collector license plate restrictions.

If you want to license it and use it for work or hauling, expect to pay a lot. Here in Washington state you have to pay tonnage when you buy your license plates. On a truck that has an empty weight of 14,000lbs and is designed to haul 24,000lbs on the highway, it will cost a lot. Insurance for the truck is comparable. Insurance companies are expecting you to haul heavy loads and will charge you a comparable rate.

CDL is not required! (Unless you live in California, those communists) Even though the truck has air over hydraulic brakes, you don't need a CDL because its GWV is under 26,000lbs. With that said, I do have a class-A CDL. I want to get this truck a bigger brother some day.

my old man has this trucks bigger brother but we don't drive it because Reg and insurance bullshit
    i think its the 10 tn recovery version with pto wench and all

n00b
    I've been wanting a Dispatcher for years - I'd fit it out as a work truck. Is that M35 also yours? Lucky bastid...

(My dream truck is an M35A2 with the multifuel engine...)

Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
    I've been wanting a Dispatcher for years - I'd fit it out as a work truck. Is that M35 also yours? Lucky bastid...

(My dream truck is an M35A2 with the multifuel engine...)
    1978 AM General M35A2

It has the multifuel engine as well, though I only burn diesel in it. It's not very fun replacing the filters on it and diesel is the cleanest.

n00b
    Oh, I know that you have to replace filters &c when you change fuels in the multifuel, and I'd probably run greasel in it anyhow, but I like the idea of having a heavy truck that can run on pretty much anything flammable...

Update on the postal job. It's still in the works. My next interview is on February 9th. Woot!

(Everything the US Government does is slow. Including hiring apparently.)

you saw nothing....
    not everything they only thing they do fast is TAKE MONEY