+ Reply to Thread

Potential backup generator?

2012 Mustang GT Premium 6-speed

Looks pretty good. Seeing as I live in the same small town as family and we've lived through the last decade of winters, we decided to go in on a generator early this year.

My current headache is getting a gas line run. Apparently the ape who put in my service in 1980 somehow managed to weld the service line to my meter, so now they have to turn off the main and it's gonna be an even bigger PITA

you saw nothing....
    looks awesome maybe run a small diesel motor to power it?
    and mabye a large battery pack system to sustain it better

Quote Originally Posted by lynchingacers View Post
    looks awesome maybe run a small diesel motor to power it?
    and mabye a large battery pack system to sustain it better
    Uhh, the whole point of a tractor PTO generator is to, you know, attach it to your tractor's PTO.

To elaborate, a lot of people get gas generators as backups and they sit for years. When someone does try to fire it the thing doesn't work/ carb is gummed up/etc.
    What I like about this idea is its run offa motor used for other stuff so that won't be an issue. Also that's a lot of juice. Out to pretty much be able to run the whole house.

2012 Mustang GT Premium 6-speed

Looks like a great buy. If it's in good shape, and still available, jump on it.

And maybe you can run your tractor on WVO?

n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by cowman View Post
    To elaborate, a lot of people get gas generators as backups and they sit for years. When someone does try to fire it the thing doesn't work/ carb is gummed up/etc.
    What I like about this idea is its run offa motor used for other stuff so that won't be an issue. Also that's a lot of juice. Out to pretty much be able to run the whole house.
    Yawp.

Whenever I've had to run maintenance for a place that had a backup genny, starting it and letting it run for an hour (unloaded) once a month was something I considered mandatory. Keep the thing running, keep the gaskets wet, make sure it's going to work when I actually do need it.

Granted, I was also usually dealing with Diesels, but the same thought applies to gasoline/LPG/CNG/whatever...

And, a PTO generator can be hooked up with a small engine that has enough power output, just come up with an adapter/jackshaft to connect them. Done it before.