+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

A survival adventure...

One day in the future, everyone on this forum boards a cruise ship vacation. Things are going quite well, everyone is drinking and laughing and having fun.. then seemingly out of nowhere, the clear sky turns dark. Within minutes the ship is caught in a strange storm. Lightning unlike anything you've ever seen crackles across the water. After several more minutes of this, the storm fades away as quickly as it began.

The ship's crew is acting nervous and one of us overhears that the GPS isn't working, they can't receive any radio or satellite signals although all the gear appears to be working correctly. After hemming and hawing for two days, without being able to communicate or receive any communication from the outside world, they steer the ship back towards the closest land mass which should be Florida. Unfortunately we rented a budget cruise ship run by Italians and they aren't very good at navigating without the GPS. The ship runs aground somewhere off a coastline. We all manage to get off and take the lifeboats to safety but none of us have time to grab any gear. Besides the clothes on our backs, a couple of us have pocket knives, one guy has a solar powered pocket calculator, and one guy had the good sense to throw some food in one of the life boats. The good news is there's enough food for everyone for at least 6 months, more if we ration. The bad news is what he got was MREs... hope you guys like Chicken ala King cause that's all there is.

The Italians all got in one lifeboat which never made it back to shore. Below decks on the ship is where all the spammers were at the time of the sinking. A fire broke out before the boat went under, they all burned horribly then drowned in salt water.

Our groups scouts around for several miles on the mainland. We find lots of wildlife and vegetation that looks like we might have landed in the general area of Florida but there is no sign of people. No roads, power lines, other boats, aircraft, sounds of human activity, buildings, etc. Just us, the MREs, a couple of shoddy lifeboats, a pocket knife, and a calculator.

It very much looks like human civilization is simply gone and all we've got is what little we took with us and what knowledge we still have.

So, now what do we do?

I leave this open ended, however the one rule I lay down is that it has to be something that could actually happen. No frog prince leading everyone back home or fairy godmothers or aliens or anything. You can do anything that you yourself are able to.

Example: if you know how to take what you have, find local resources, and smelt Iron ore into Iron and make things then you can do that. Be prepared to be called on it if you claim such an ability... also consider man power required... there are only a couple hundred of us. We'll also have to start coming up with food eventually.

2012 Mustang GT Premium 6-speed

I would gather a group of like minded individuals and go out and hunt down a pig. Assuming there was evidence of one of course. I saw this in a movie once and I like roasted pig.

78 AM General M35A2 deuce and a half - 03 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE
    ~~ Preparing for the inevitable zombie apocalypse since 2009 ~~

I would start by figuring out who has mastered the dark art of making fire.

listen to steve rosenthal tell us how we would not be stranded if the washington state ferry boats were here, and how much colder and deeper the waters of washington are, but dont worry he would have a master plan that his science teacher in high school taught him.....

you saw nothing....
    shelter, fire first then resources like food!

Right, so what do we build the shelter with. There are probably trees around, you've got manpower...

I may not have mastered the dark arts, Ron, but I am a smoker who always has a lighter. Once it dries out, we're golden. Or, if necessary, I think I have enough skillz left from my youth to be able to build a fire with some sticks and some tinder if we can find anything dry enough. We would also need to decide what to do about water - a team would need to go look for a fresh water source and we'd need to meet up and decide if using the boat for a water storage device is something we're willing to do if fresh water is a concern.
    "Just a simple choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love instead see all of us as one." - Bill Hicks

You have a degree minus one chemisty credit in botany here plus a class in tropical ecology, ornithology, and river ecology so I could probably figure out what plants and animals won't kill us if we ate it.

or we could just feed it to the Doug and if he lives its safe.

Ok, cool, Tami figured out fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Tessa View Post
    or we could just feed it to the Doug and if he lives its safe.
    Yeah I think that's a good plan.