+ Reply to Thread

Thread: mycleanpc

mycleanpc

My Compy386 was running pretty hot the last couple weeks, so I finally decided I should probably blow out the radiators.
    Sure enough, the main radiator for the CPU was completely clogged with dust. It's now running 15C cooler.

Well there's your problem!

Good call cleaning out the dust. I work on used PCs all day and it's amazing how neglected some of these machines get. A little maintenance goes a long way to keep a system working properly.

78 AM General M35A2 deuce and a half - 03 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE
    ~~ Preparing for the inevitable zombie apocalypse since 2009 ~~

n00b
    Worst thing ever: working on a smoker's computer.

I have to do this 3-4 times a year. I think it's related to the blown cellulose (i.e. shredded newspaper) insulation the builder blew in when the house was built...

Yuck. You're breathing the same air. Think about what that could be doing to your lungs.

78 AM General M35A2 deuce and a half - 03 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE
    ~~ Preparing for the inevitable zombie apocalypse since 2009 ~~

Dirtiest computer I've worked on was from a lady with leathery skin who was obviously a chain smoker.

It didn't just have dust... it had orange grime. And it was a dark orange, almost brown, like the color of old ear wax. It had gone past powdery to looking furry, but as soon as you touched it-- it glommed on like ooze, gaining a slimy texture. :scarred:

~Matt Booker

I had one full of cobwebs and spiders, at least one of which had just given birth to a large number of babies. Wound up blasting some Bengal in it and then vacuumed it out, because the cheap old bag didn't want to replace it even though it was better part of 8 years old (PII in 2008 = fail)
    And then there was another one I only saw pics of that a coworker got to take care of... which was full of roaches of all sizes.
    Fortunately it was a company-owned computer and they listened when we said it was bad, so it got stuck in a box, gassed with some Raid, and then had a whole roll of packing tape used to seal it up.

I.... have a new strategy for dealing with the smoker computers I work on: Dunk tank. Orange oil based solvent + a low oven to dry out after. I just break it into basic components, put kilm over the stickers I care to save and in she goes for a day or two...

n00b
    Ugh. Roaches in computers. I've encountered that once. Was a company PC that one of the users took home. Stopped running...He brought it in. I powered it up and three or four roaches came falling out of the (no longer spinning) PSU fan. NOPE NOPE NOPE. Found a roll of trash bags, doused it with RAID and triple-bagged it...Unpacked it a few weeks later to find a LOT of dead roaches. Took the hard drive out and dumpstered the rest.

Ugh. Still gives me the creeps.