+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    n00b
    Goals in life? This is a tough one, but it's up to the individual to decide.

People, often religious people, tell me that I should get married, have kids and give money to the church.

People, often politicians, tell me I should be a good citizen, not question authority and pay my taxes.

What matters, however, is what I think my goals in life are. One of the things that makes us human, and therefore separate from the majority of the animal kingdom, is self determination - the sense of self and the ability to assign our own purpose to things.

It took me a long, long time to figure out what I wanted out of life. I followed the rules, mostly, in my early years and all through high school...Then I noticed how many people around me that were miserable, despite "following the rules." They worked hard, went to school, married, squirted out kids, got jobs, etc...Yet they weren't happy. This made me take a long, hard look at what I wanted out of life.

I wasted most of my twenties cause I didn't know what to do; all I knew was I didn't want to end up like most of the people I knew. I had fun in my twenties, but didn't really have anything to show for it until I started dating this one girl, Christine. It always goes back to a girl, doesn't it?

Christine was great. Which means it wouldn't last. At the time I was working at a job I hated, hated getting out of bed in the morning, had no fun hobbies, was doing nothing productive with life, and so on. Christine tried to point out to me that I needed to make some changes, but I didn't see it. So, naturally, she decided to dump me...She said that being the only good thing in someone's life was too much for one person to do, and that I had to find ways to be happy on my own before anyone would really be able to stay with me for the long haul.

For quite a while...Months, I think...I hated her. I still didn't get that she was right. But...It finally clicked. I realized that the only person that could get things going the way I wanted was myself. So...I did. Went out, got a much better job---the one I have now---and started doing fun things. I started taking some classes again.

So, fast-forward to now...I'm thirty-four years old, have my own home, have a great girl that lives with me, have time and money to pursue my interests, have lots of stuff to do including playing in a band and am generally the happiest I've ever been. I'm livin' the dream. I wasted my twenties but I'm more than making up for lost time.

My goal now? To be happy. That's the main one...To enjoy life as a whole. I get to do that now. I get out of bed---late, sometimes---but I still look forward to every day, even the ones I know won't be great. I'm fortunate that I get to live my life this way. A lot of people I know, mostly relatives, are pretty dismayed that we're not having kids and such, but I don't care. If they have a problem with it, that's exactly what it is: their problem.

My future goals are to finish my copper-air project, fix the closet door, do more work on my Valiant, find which bathroom vent fan exhaust pipe is leaking onto the ceiling in the bedroom and fix that, continue playing bass, work on wiring in a few more power sockets in the garage and a lot more stuff like that. But all of this is done so life continues to go well and I stay happy.

I'm not entirely sure what my point was with this long, rambling post. I guess just to show how I arrived at my list of goals.

Gather food
    Serve Vol

Quote Originally Posted by Tessa View Post
    Don't forget to build my pasture as well so I can get yet another pony! (You can't have too many ponies.)
    Try telling that to the guys over at CVU.

Believe me, I have