+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

The "Look at the cool junk I bought today" Thread

Working at a computer junk store means I purchase a lot of, well junk. Rather than create a new thread each time I have something to share, I'm just going to post it here. If you buy any cool junk and want to share feel free to post.

Let's keep this thread for used items only. None of that cool new stuff nobody can afford. Let's see the thrift store, outlet, yard sale, trash items you get.

-----------------------

So today was payday and I decided to check out the local Goodwill and scored some premium Laser Discs! Yep. I collect Laser Discs. They are like huge cds and were prohibitively expensive when I was a kid since they usually sold new for $50. Now that I'm older, it's obsolete technology and from time to time I'll find LD's mixed with records at Goodwill and pick them up for $.99. Today they had some in stock. Here's a few of what I picked up.

First, my grand prize. It's a two disc Blues Brothers Laser Disc! It even say on the front "Expanded edition with bonus footage"! Well this movie is in my top 5 favorite movies so I had to pick it up. My DVD edition is only 133 minutes. This edition is 150 minutes! Yep, that's 2 and a half hours of Blues Brothers goodness. Not sure what the extra video is, so I'll have to pop the ol' LD in and check it out. This baby was originally priced at $7.99 in the store, but they were having a green tag sale, so I got it half price. A real bargain in my opinion.

(Click the pics to embiggen)

Next is the making of Star Wars: As told by C-3PO and R2-D2, SP FX The Empire Strikes Back

This disc was created in 1981 and seems to focus on the making of both Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back. According to the back, it shows behind the scenes settings of the Millenium Falcon, The Death Star and shooting locations in Tunisia which is the setting for Luke's Farm and behind the scenes at Industrial Light and Magic. It the captions on the back makes reference to the two most successful movies ever made. So I think this video was created before Return of the Jedi. A good deal at $.99 even if it is crap. The Star Wars name should bring in a few bucks on Ebay if I decide to sell it.

Third and fourth are LD's I bought for $.99. The original Clash of the Titans, complete with stop motion animation and Dragonslayer. I don't know what to say about Dragonslayer. It looks like a pretty bad movie. I bought it because of the art work. Might have to watch it with some friends and make fun of it in the classic MST3K fashion.

78 AM General M35A2 deuce and a half - 03 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE
    ~~ Preparing for the inevitable zombie apocalypse since 2009 ~~

Bah....

I like your container "arcade" better.

I have a bunch of star wars trading cards from years back. I am looking to get rid of.

I fucking love LD. Awesome scores.

A little digging shows the Star Wars LD is a set of two specials.

The first is the making of Star Wars. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Making_of_Star_Wars

The second is SP FX The Empire Strikes Back. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SP_FX:_...e_Strikes_Back

Should make for a good watch. Looks like both these features weren't rereleased until the Bluray Complete Star Wars Edition came out in 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    Bah....

I like your container "arcade" better.
    As do I, but it's a much more expensive hobby. These are cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by ronman View Post
    I fucking love LD. Awesome scores.
    Thanks Ronman!

Which reminds me, I need to make my way out to GB some time.

Heck yeah! It's just over the mountains.

I bought Dragonslayer on dvd in a $5 bin at Walmart a while back, and for similar reasons.

It's a bad movie, but the fun kind of bad movie.

~Matt Booker

you saw nothing....
    i stopped buying junk
    now i just find junk or get paid to throw shit out..