+ Reply to Thread

Stuff that happens to vehicles in the cold

Negative and single digit temps today... my truck barely cranked over this morning and at lunch time it took a mile of warming up before it would shift past 2nd gear.

2012 Mustang GT Premium 6-speed

My hair froze and the scarf I was wearing froze to my face. not a lot of protection on those little rangers...still got all 76 horses fed and watered. aaanddd I get to do it all over again tonight..yippee.

Synthetic oil will do wonders for cold cranking. My truck used to be a stubborn horse on cold mornings, but synthetic has made a world of difference in cold crank speed and subsequent light off.

Alex.

I'll probably run it in my new truck. I've never had good luck with synthetics in higher milage engines though. Tend to use oil.

Thats because you keep torturing them with molasses oil in the winter. =-) I put up with leaks and consumption in the winter and switch back to thick(er) oil for the warm months. I'd rather start reliably and add oil if necessary than be stuck somewhere.

We don't have engine issues, but the Mustang's doors freezing shut occasionally is a bit of a bitch.
    "Just a simple choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love instead see all of us as one." - Bill Hicks

This winter hasn't been bad for that. I think my window has frozen shut once this year. Last year, I ended up reworking my driver's door first thing in Spring because it kept freezing shut alternating with leaving my interior lights on overnight cause the switch would fail open arty:

Yeah we only had one brief period of actual cold. Most of the time it's been 25F and above

It's nearly Feb and I have not had my snowmobile out once.

I blame all the people down here who went nuts when they had 8 or 9 snow days. They doubled the number in the school calendars from 5 to 10 for this year. Now we haven't used any this year.