+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

The Food Thread - Recipes and stuff.

I like the idea of stromboli. Pizza dough with toppings and cheese but no sauce, roll it up in a spiral and bake it. But I often ended up with dough in the inside that didn't cook very much.

Here's how I fixed that...

ULTIMATE STROMBOLI

Ingredients
    Thinly Sliced Mozzarella
    Pepperoni Slices (You could also use thinly sliced dry ham, or both.)
    Chopped Spinach (I used frozen chopped spinach, drained.)
    Shredded Sharp Cheddar
    Red Pepper Flakes
    Garlic Salt
    Coarse Ground Black Pepper
    Salt
    Pizza Dough

Tools
    Rectangular Baking Sheet
    Cooking Spray
    Oven Set To 350

No amounts, since most of the ingredients are variable depending on how much pizza dough you have.

Step 1: Like unto a sheet of cheese.

You need the mozzarella thinly sliced because you're going to form a rectangular sheet of it. You want it thin and squishy to help it be flexible later. It won't seal together perfectly, but it'll do well enough if you either press the slices together or use a fork to crimp.

I just pressed it together with my fingers. I also just bought a chunk of it and sliced it myself. It didn't look pretty, but it worked. Have a deli slice it if you want.

I pressed the sheet out onto a 17" by 11" baking sheet, and used most of that area.

Step 2: A sward of delicious.

So once you've got a nicely sized rectangular sheet of cheese, press on a layer of pepperonis.

Then layer on a bed of chopped spinach. As much as you think you'll like. I think I used most of the block of frozen spinach.

Then sprinkle on the shredded cheddar.

Then red pepper, black pepper, and a dash of salt.

Step 3: The log of plenty.

Next roll it up. Go down the length of the pan, resulting in an 11" long roll. It seems kind of fat at the moment, but that gets fixed later.

Just be careful and go slowly during this part. You want to roll it as tightly as possible, and really press the cheese as you go. It gets kind of messy, and it doesn't look very pretty, and some of the cheese might tear a bit as you go, but if you roll it tightly it won't matter much.

Now, you can leave the log as is, but honestly it's a bit thick. Thankfully it's very squishy, so pick it up and really work that log around between your hands, get your palms dirty. Use your fingers and hands to work it from a short and fat log into a longer one. You still want it thick, or it won't be as satisfying, but don't be afraid to make it longer.

It should look a bit like Mossman's uncircumcised penis.

Step Four: Reverse stuffing.

Usually, a food item is made and then stuffing is put into it. We've made the stuffing, now we wrap the rest of the food around it.

Using whatever kind of pizza dough you prefer, spread it out and wrap it around the log. Use just one layer of dough, and crimp a seam along the top. Try not to get a lot of excess on there, especially around the crimped spots where you seal the dough. It should look like a gigantic stuffed breadstick.

Step Five: Elaborate, with heat!

Spray the cooking sheet and put the stromboli on it.

Sprinkle the top with a liberal dose of garlic salt, and press it into the dough.

Cook at 350 in an oven until the crust is golden brown. I also turned the sheet around after about five minutes, because the oven in this apartment doesn't cook evenly sometimes.

You might want to spray the top of the breadstick before you put it in the oven, or just drizzle some butter on it after a few minutes of cooking. :shrug:

What comes out should provide four hearty servings ( ), and be cheesy and delicious. You can serve it with sauce, but don't cook it with it, and honestly adding sauce seems like it would diminish the flavor of the stromboli.

You could probably add whatever toppings you want, but stick with dry stuff because that amount of cheese is going to make it really moist. Stuff like deli ham might sound delicious, but when that kind of ham cooks it tends to get really oily and I'd worry about the whole thing getting sloppy. With bacon or sausage, just cook it and dry it first.

If any of you try this, let me know how it turned out. It's not very hard to make, and it's delicious.

~Matt Booker
    Last edited by Matt Booker; 01-19-2012 at 06:22 PM.

Ok, so I made this tonight. Failed to take pictures so... I guess blow me.

Chicken & rice & beans burrito things.

1. Make chicken taco meat by slicing up chicken into small pieces, fry in skillet until cooked, add in chicken taco seasoning mix.

2. Make up a pot of this shit:

3. warm up some soft taco tortillas in the microwave to soften.

4. Put some shredded cheese on the tortilla, put some of the chicken taco meat over that, spoon some rice&beans over that. Fold it up tight like a burrito.

5. Use an oven or toaster oven to toast them a little so they're crispy. I like them crispy, maybe sprinkle some cheese on top, throw on some hot/taco sauce hell I don't care do what you want.

6. Profit?

2012 Mustang GT Premium 6-speed

Sounds tasty.

Hey, that Knorr package reminds me of something.

Knorr makes pasta products in that same kind of package, stuff like Chicken or Parmesan. You're supposed to boil the liquid ingredients and then add the noodles, presumably results in some kind of noodles like what is pictured on the package.

That seemed like an extra step, so I just threw the noodles in right from the start, figuring it would reduce the overall cooking time.

However, what results is akin to a casserole. I make two packages at once in a skillet, and it becomes a main coarse dish.

Parmesan works best with this variation, because it's got a creamy base.

~Matt Booker

you saw nothing....
    Steaks/Ribs Simple
    _________
    1x large bottle of Kikioman sauce ( around 20 oz)
    2x cups of brown sugar
    1x cup apple juice
    Bring sauce to a boil dissolve sugar into sauce till slightly sweet
    _______
    marinade with Sauce^^

throw on the BBQ and keep reapplying this marinade with a brush every couple of minutes till it builds up a Carmel like layer.

I have no pictures either, but none are necessary.
    Earlier in the week I made a big pot of spaghetti sauce with three kinds of sausage, hot mild, and loose.
    Tonight I heated up a hot sausage in some sauce, put it on a sub roll and melted some shredded Italian cheese on it in the broiler of the toaster oven.
    Not a gourmet treat, but a great fuckin sandwich.

Anybody like Sriracha? That stuff goes on everything. Last night I made this, which took salad from rabbit food to OM NOM MOUTH OF FIRE.

Sriracha Vinaigrette

1/4 cup sesame oil
    1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
    1/2 cup honey
    2 tablespoons sriracha
    2 tablespoons white sesame seeds
    1/4 teaspoon soy sauce
    "Just a simple choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love instead see all of us as one." - Bill Hicks

I bought a bottle of sriracha after seeing The Oatmeal's comic on it, thinking it would be awesome and hot and... it's weaksauce.

It has an interesting flavor. It just wasn't even close to this. I get more kick out of red pepper flakes.

Red pepper flakes tend to be my most often used 'hot' spice anyway. I don't like tangy hotsauces, because they tend to overpower more subtle flavors, whereas red pepper flakes can steep in a liquid and contribute heat without much flavor. I also like Tampico Green Habenero sauce for both heat and flavor, especially on tacos. Sriracha is tasty on eggs, though.

~Matt Booker

Here's a super easy desert. I've been making it since I was a little kid and it's great to teach your kids because it's so simple.

Ingredients: graham cracker pie crust, regular size cool whip (or other whipped topping), one individually sized ready to eat fruit flavored yogurt. (I prefer strawberry)

Preparation: Let cool whip (or other whipped topping) warm on the counter for about 15 minutes. Place cool whip (or other whipped topping) in a larger mixing bowl, add yogurt and mix by hand with a spoon. After mixing, pour the mix into the graham cracker pie crust and place in freezer. Let freeze for an hour or longer, then slice and serve.

Yummy desert and cheap to make! Plus a little kid is not going to burn himself/herself when making it.

78 AM General M35A2 deuce and a half - 03 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE
    ~~ Preparing for the inevitable zombie apocalypse since 2009 ~~

*Caution: Each serving of the mac and cheese is over 1200 calories and will probably cut three years from your life. It's worth it.

Macaroni au Gratin
    (note: no fucking around, use exactly what it says, and do exactly what it says. yes, it'll cost you about $20 in cheese if you buy good stuff, stfu)

Ingredients:
    3 cups heavy cream
    1/2 pound of macaroni, cooked al dente and drained
    1 cup shredded gruyere, divided
    1 cup shredded Parmesan, divided
    1 cup shredded white cheddar, divided
    2 tablespoons cold butter
    pinch of sea salt
    cracked black pepper, to taste
    Directions:
    Set a rack in the oven about 4 inches from the broiler, and preheat broiler.

In a large saute pan over medium-high heat, reduce cream by a fourth. Lower heat to medium. Stir in the macaroni and 3/4 cup each of the gruyere, Parmesan and white cheddar. Stir with a wooden spoon while tossing the contents of the pan in a sauteing motion. Add butter and salt, and continue stirring until the butter is emulsified into the sauce.

Transfer mixture to a baking dish (see Note). Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup each of the gruyere, Parmesan and white cheddar over the top, distributing them evenly.

Place the dish under the broiler. Watch it carefully, as you will need to rotate the dish to create an even crust. This will take from 3 to 5 minutes, depending on the strength of your broiler.

Remove gratin from the oven and season with fresh cracked black pepper. Serve immediately.

Note: Chef Christensen suggests that if you wish to add any extra ingredients (such as roasted tomatoes or caramelized onions), they should be layered between the pasta and the cheese topping.
    Makes 4 servings.
    Per serving: calories, 1,207; fats, 98 grams (71% of calories); cholesterol, 341 milligrams; carbohydrate, 48 grams; fiber, 2 grams; protein, 36 grams; sodium, 745 milligrams

Easy quick snack/meal food: quesadilla

All you really need is flour tortillas and cheese... preferably a good shredded taco cheese. If you have any kind of taco meat.. beef/chicken/pork that can go in too.

Get a skillet, heat it up, drop a tortilla flat on it and get it warm enough to be flexible. Flip it, right in the skillet sprinkle some cheese and whatever fillings you want onto one half of the tortilla. Remember to keep it THIN, not loaded up like a taco/burrito. Then fold the uncovered side over so it's more/less thin taco shaped. Cook for a bit and flip. It's done with both sides are golden brown.. you'll have to play with heat settings on your stove and timing but it doesn't take long to get it down. I usually just put it on high until it's starting to cook faster than I can flip then back it off to 3/4 heat.

You should end up with a thinish crispy tortilla shell filled with molten cheese/meats. This is a nice use of your leftovers after a taco night. Also nice when you're hungry and have tortilla shells/cheese around. Once your skillet is good and hot you can crank them out nearly as fast as you can throw on a tortilla, fill it, and fold it.

2012 Mustang GT Premium 6-speed