2 Briskets, patted dry
    2 Cans Chipotles in Adobo Sauce
    1 TBSP Dutch Process Coca
    1 TBSP Cumin
    1 TBSP Black Pepper Corns
    1 TBSP Bulk Garlic Powder
    2 TBSP Salt

Method:
    Pepper corns and Cumin seeds go into a cast iron skillet for long enough to get the oils going. Drop em into a coffee grinder and pulse till fine. Combine with all other ingredients to make a thick paste (you might have to chop or grind chipotles, but they typically fall apart if you use any force. Spread on meat. Wrap meat tightly in a double layer of thick foil. Put on intake manifold before you take a long trip (or alternatively a 200 degree oven or low charcoal grill). After a couple of hours, check the meat: if it's getting too dry you can add any sort of low acid fruit juice (or if you have a blender, even onion juice works well). After roughly six hours, the meat should be tender.

Well, I usually just rub steaks down with sea salt and freshly ground pepper, then put them in a hot cast iron pan for a couple minutes on each side to sear. Then in to the oven it goes at about 325 for 20 minutes or so. If I'm feeling feisty, I'll deglaze the pan with some red wine before it goes in the oven.

The only thing I really use rubs for are ribs and brisket. I don't really measure anything, but I'll throw chili powder, brown sugar, smoked paprika, a small amount of ginger, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a bowl and mix it up well before manually applying it to the meat. Cook that bitch low and slow and you've got a winner.
    "Just a simple choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love instead see all of us as one." - Bill Hicks

It's chili tonight!

Santa Fe Chili

Prep: 20 min. Cook: 4 hours
    Yield: 16 Servings
    Ingredients

2 pounds ground beef
    1 medium onion, chopped
    2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
    2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
    2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
    3 cans (7 ounces each) white or shoepeg corn, drained
    1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies
    1 can (11-1/2 ounces) V8 juice
    2 envelopes ranch salad dressing mix
    2 envelopes taco seasoning
    Sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese and corn chips, optional

Directions

In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the beans, corn, tomatoes, juice, salad dressing mix and taco seasoning.
    Cover and cook on high for 4-6 hours or until heated through. Serve with sour cream, cheese and corn chips if desired. Yield: 16 servings (4 quarts).

Beans belong in burritos, not chili.

Quote Originally Posted by ronman View Post
    Beans belong in burritos, not chili.
    LIES!

It's good to see you put corn in there too!

Another good ingredient is cubed potatoes.

~Matt Booker

So in my attempts to eat the last of the steak I got on sale last weekend, I present the Best Steak Sammich Ever.

Flank steak, seasoned with a touch of A1 before going in the pan. Seared on both sides and put in the oven. Once finished, take the meat out to rest for a while, dump most of the drippings, and fry up a chopped shallot and chopped garlic until soft. Put everything on some awesome bread - I chose foccacia rolls. Add swiss cheese and your onions, then put under the broiler until the cheese melts.

Omnomnomnomnom. I wish I had one right now.
    "Just a simple choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love instead see all of us as one." - Bill Hicks

That looks like a magnificent sandwich.
    Now I'm hungry.

Yes it does.

Tonight I fried up some ground deer meat, then tossed it in a rice cooker with about a cup of rice, some garlic, onions, chili powder, cumin, some Ortega taco sauce, red pepper flakes, and chicken broth.

I kind of want to put some diced tomatoes in there, and maybe some corn, but I didn't want to open the cans when I wouldn't be using all of it.

Should still be tasty, though.

~Matt Booker

you saw nothing....
    Quote Originally Posted by HEMI View Post
    WANTED: a good steak rub recipe. Anyone have any favorites they would share?

paprika pepper garlic salt and optional onion powder