PDA

View Full Version : Funny IRS story

Jinx
04-20-2012, 04:37 PM
All I can do is laugh at this point. Here's what happened and what is happening now.

In 2009 I went to a truck driving school to obtain my Washington state Class-A CDL. Filing for taxes, my tax preparer said I could use the schooling as a tax write off. So I submitted my receipt for the schooling and didn't think anything more of it, until about 2 years later. I get a letter saying I was not eligible to declare the schooling as a write off and I owe $900 in back taxes. Needless to say, I wasn't too happy, but scheduled a payment plan of $50 a month to pay it off.

Fast forward to this year. Filed taxes and I had some money coming back. Most of it paid the balance of the back taxes but I owed around $200. Having a little extra spending cash after selling a bunch of junk on Ebay and Craigslist to help fund my Jeep purchase, I decide to pay off the remaining debt and mail in a check for the balance.

A couple weeks later in late February, I get a refund check of $50 and some cents. They say I over paid. Well, that's cool. I deposit the check and spend the money.

Then I get a notice a couple weeks after that stating there was an error, the money was sent by mistake and I still owe $50. Bummer, I cut a check and mail it in.

Go forward another few weeks. I get a check again from the IRS stating I over paid my taxes and here was another check for $50. Again I deposit it thinking this is the second $50 check I got. What's going on at the IRS?

Yesterday I get the mail and guess what's in it? Another IRS bill saying there was an error and I still owe $50 and to mail a check by this time next month.

This is the third check I will be mailing in. If I get another $50 check from the IRS, I'm holding on to it and will mail it back if they send me a bill for $50 again. I swear there must be two computer systems fighting each other over there. One that thinks I'm paid up and the other that thinks I owe $50.

TDSP
04-20-2012, 05:29 PM
That is absolutely not uncommon. I sent a quarterly payment that they declared not accepted 2 years after the fact when my taxes were scrutinized over me going to tax court (an unrelated story). I got in touch with someone at Andover, sent her a copy of the cancelled check, the routing number, etc and she entered it in my file and stopped the process that ended up sending me a letter asking for $3,000 (Payment + Penalties, Fees and Interest). Two months later, same letter shows up with another 2 months of fees/interest/etc tacked on. Luckily, I wrote down her badge number, so I got back ahold of her. She looked into it and found out that they had not correctly processed her transaction, so she tried again. We have repeated this drill 4 times to this point :|

cowman
04-20-2012, 08:07 PM
Why people put up with this organization as it stands is beyond me. A politician pushin to end it in favor of a simpler tax code would likely get my support even if part of his platform included legalizing baby eating.

TDSP
04-21-2012, 06:20 AM
Politicians don't like to talk about it because it's essential to their continued existence and power. The ability to both put loopholes into the tax code and play various sides against each other based on opinion of the tax code is quintessential. Because there are so few politicians who try to go against the system, their views that are barely out of line are attacked by every single other person in the arena. Their party, the other guys, the press, etc. Ron Paul is apparently a crackpot racist. Rand Paul hates women because he's pro-life. On and on and on and on.