PDA

View Full Version : Reinstalling Windows XP - HALP!

ilcopcarguy
01-10-2012, 09:02 PM
So I'm trying to reinstall Win XP on a Dell Dimension B110 desktop. I have the disc from Dell. It won't let me install on C: partition because it already has winblows on it. When I install on any other partition it brings up a dual-boot screen (showing the old and new installs). The old install brings up a blank desktop background with the mouse pointer. The new install won't let me load any drivers from the Dell drivers disk. :mrrage:

cowman
01-10-2012, 09:36 PM
Zero fill the hard drive(wipe/delete everything) first then try the dell CD.

There are utilities around. I'd probably just boot up a linux live CD and do a dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M where /dev/sda is your hard disk(probably is). Does anyone know of a quick/easy to use one for him?

unixdude
01-10-2012, 10:22 PM
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

download and burn the image. it has many kewl tools.

6 Speed
01-10-2012, 10:46 PM
I seem to remember the WinXP install giving you the option to format the drive before install. Why not just do that?

cowman
01-10-2012, 10:52 PM
The regular install disk does, but he has a Dell disk so all bets are off.

6 Speed
01-10-2012, 11:26 PM
True. Didn't think about that

lynchingacers
01-10-2012, 11:27 PM
format C:

TDSP
01-11-2012, 05:46 AM
I can do it when I fix the lappy?

ilcopcarguy
01-11-2012, 12:45 PM
That might be the best. Or I may just Linux it. lol

I need to look at it again...when I am not high on cold meds. :guh:

ilcopcarguy
01-12-2012, 06:23 PM
I'm not sure what I did different this time, but I'm typing from it now. My lord I had forgotten how slow this thing is. 2.5 Ghz Celeron and only 512 MB ram. :guh:

Jinx
01-12-2012, 07:55 PM
Heh,

As I will probably state many times on this site, I work at a computer recycling center. One of the perks is being able to buy various electronics.

Rewind about 5 years. PC Magazine had an article on budget laptops. One such computer tested was a store branded machine called Great Quality. It was anything but great and the quality sucked. It was such a bad machine that it could not complete most tests it was given. In fact, they had to return the laptop two times before they could get one to even boot. Fry's sold this machine as one of those "Laptops Starting At..." machines you would see in the paper. The whole idea was to get people in the store, then the salespeople could up sell them a real laptop.

Apparently someone actually bought one of these anemic laptops and I'm now the proud owner! It took a little over a day to reinstall Windows XP on it and it's something to behold. The specs are: AMD 500MHz Athlon, 128MB of RAM (but only 96MB useable due to the integrated video card) 20GB HDD, 80 minute battery life, a 14" LCD and VIA integrated graphics. Keep in mind this was during a time that most laptops were running a 2.0GHz Pentium 4 and 512MB of RAM. Basically you took a current system of the time and cut everything down by 75% and then expected it to run Windows XP with Service Pack 2.

It's a world class POS. I always wanted one after reading PC Magazine's article but couldn't justify spending $200 on an unusable machine. In fact, the $25 I did spend on it wasn't worth it, but it's fun to whip out and show friends just how long it takes too boot. Not to mention trying to open a browser. :D

TDSP
01-12-2012, 08:50 PM
I've got you beat.

I ran into a Pentium 133 Overdrive in the wild two weeks ago. It was still being used for quick books. The capacitor whine was audible.

Scarface88
01-13-2012, 01:34 AM
I actually had a 386 up until 2001 {I was born in 89}, but I didn't use it for anything other than DOS gaming. It had a bunch of early-mid 80s games on it, like Paratrooper, Flightmare, and some King Kong game.

TDSP
01-13-2012, 06:36 AM
DOSBox (http://www.dosbox.com/) is you friend :)

Even Steam uses it to run old shit you buy on Steam...

Chevyguy
01-15-2012, 09:53 AM
I have XP many OEM Dell. Boot from XP CD delete boot partition reformat and load XP U get option for size it leaves the balance unformatted