PDA

View Full Version : Why is the Simpsons Still on TV?

Jinx
02-20-2012, 03:00 AM
Seriously. Hasn't this show jumped the shark years ago? I think they were one of the original shows when Fox was created.

ronman
02-20-2012, 03:08 AM
They came after the network started.
And I'm of the opinion that the show is great. I mean, it's no Jersey Shore but it's a damn sight better than 99% of the shit on network tv (besides maybe NCIS, 30 Rock, Community, BBT, Family Guy and Napoleon Dynamite, now that Chuck is over) and in case you weren't aware, it IS possible to not watch something that you think isn't worth watching. :brunette:

Jinx
02-20-2012, 03:22 AM
I was watching The Cleavland show and after it ended The Simpsons started. It got me thinking how can this show still have any viewers? The show's timeline is a mess. The characters have a ton of conflicting backstories at this point. IMO, the show is just tired. After making a couple hundred episodes they just started phoning it in.

I know I can change the channel. I usually do, but I was playing Skyrim on my Alienware and didn't want to reach over and change the channel.

ronman
02-20-2012, 03:29 AM
So you're saying you don't actually watch it, and therefore have no idea what you're on about. :troll:

Jinx
02-20-2012, 05:49 AM
I stopped watching somewhere around the time Homer suddenly had a background where he was a famous grunge rock singer in the 1990's and they basically rewrote the early history of the Simpson family.

ronman
02-20-2012, 07:20 AM
So basically most things don't affect the canon of the show... stuff like Maude Flanders dying is very rare in the show and when you look at it in the light that each show is something of a different quantum reality, it works. :o

ssppd14
02-20-2012, 12:58 PM
So basically most things don't affect the canon of the show... stuff like Maude Flanders dying is very rare in the show and when you look at it in the light that each show is something of a different quantum reality, it works. :o

Funny you should mention that episode. That's where I think the show jumped the shark. To me, it didn't seem consistently funny anymore afterwards. Somewhere along the way, the show moved from plot-driven gags to gag-driven plots.

TDSP
02-20-2012, 01:04 PM
I'm convinced that the Simpsons writers are just seeing how long they can keep it going... I agree with Ron that it's still high quality and that it's to the point of being each episode on it's own continuity because they have just so much shit to keep straight.

Plus, it spawned Futurama. Futurama is fucking awesome.

Tessa
02-20-2012, 02:14 PM
It's better than the majority of reality shows on lately..."Toddlers and Tiara's" anyone? That show is CREEPY! Don't even get me started on "Teen Mom" or the 20 billion hoarding/intervention/diet shows.

Dan
02-21-2012, 12:36 AM
It beats the hell out of reality shows and that includes most news.

lynchingacers
02-21-2012, 05:23 AM
don't think most news is much beyond scripted reality shows. occasionally local shit is reality... its not like they will ever say anything against those who write the bribes..

and i agree those shows tessa mentioned are sick and horrifying... least the child modification/abuse ifs fucking terrible