PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new cordless drill....

TDSP
01-16-2012, 05:27 PM
This (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GT0IXO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?t=slickdeals&tag=slickdeals&ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER) was suggested, but I'm not sure if that "impact" would be worth anything.

Any thoughts? I've already destroyed a DeWalt and two Craftsmans :|

ronman
01-16-2012, 05:35 PM
Mike has the DeWalt version of that impact and it has almost completely replaced the air ratchet in the garage. The DW version is rated like 100lb/ft.

Also, stop being so hard on your shit. Even getting tossed around and left outside in the rain at races hasn't fazed my Dewalts. :|

TDSP
01-16-2012, 05:55 PM
I wear out bearings by running them too much in a short period, which is unfortunately is required when I am doing a big network install and mounting anchors. I tried rotating drills, but it's a lot easier to carry battery packs than an extra drill and packs.

lynchingacers
01-17-2012, 03:38 AM
DEWALT Drills we been beating on them for years in metal shop ( high school morons mostly 9hrs a day..)
i wanted there 3/8" or 1/2" impact one soo much but its expensive

Spartan
01-18-2012, 02:55 AM
I use DeWalt also, I use them. I would get a DeWalt drill and impactor set. I had Makita and they sucked.

Axle
01-19-2012, 01:12 AM
I wear out bearings by running them too much in a short period, which is unfortunately is required when I am doing a big network install and mounting anchors. I tried rotating drills, but it's a lot easier to carry battery packs than an extra drill and packs.

Makita, Milwalkee, or Dewalt.

Used many Makitas over the years. Still got a 15-20 year old 8200D hammer drill (9.6v) that put in daily duty for many years doing what your doing every day. Never killed a drills bearings though (you one of those guys that can't push a drill straight?) We've also got a handful of 6020D's and its older red bodied siblings kicking around the shop from the same time period. Times like this I wish I kept track of just how many holes I drilled, but it was all into concrete, block or brick.

Presently, I've got two makitas (7.2v & electric (oldest and most used)), a dewalt (18v), and milwalkee (14.4v) riding around with me everyday.

Alex.

Axle
01-19-2012, 01:18 AM
I wear out bearings by running them too much in a short period,

Push your drill in straight. Never killed a bearing in a drill yet and I've still got an old 8200D hammer drill (9.6v) that did daily duty doing what your doing.

I'd only consider Milwalkee, Dewalt and Makitas.

Alex.

TDSP
01-19-2012, 03:57 AM
I can push my drill in straight when I'm on anything approaching level ground or when I'm not upside down or when I have a nice stable scissors lift. Unfortunately, I can typically have one of those three conditions satisfied :| I really think the DeWalt died of heat from the three days of running all three battery packs till they died and setting it down while the last one finished charging it up to stage. I knew it was torture, but it was $$$ to get the thing done before a deadline.

I'm gonna actually call Milwaukee CPO and see what they have that hasn't made the website yet, I wasn't satisfied with those offerings when I was looking yesterday.

lynchingacers
01-19-2012, 04:19 AM
cant you just buy the bearings and replace them??

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/dewalt-cordless-drill-parts-c-1009_1162.html

TDSP
01-19-2012, 07:34 AM
I had no idea such a place existed :schin:

lynchingacers
01-19-2012, 05:17 PM
Google Ftw

we fixed a few drills and grinders in metal shop because mostly small stuff like triggers, switches, brushes and things like that broke once in a while and they were easy fixes once yo find the parts!!

i mean how do you think so many things are refurbished they take em apart and put in some new parts that broke..

TDSP
01-19-2012, 06:44 PM
I figured the factory didn't sell the parts to anyone that wasn't their affiliated refurbisher? Again, you had an idea I hadn't had....

Spartan
01-20-2012, 03:58 AM
Any major brand tool can be fix. Before I lost my job, my place of work used to fix all power tools. If you buy a new one get a DeWalt kit.

Axle
01-20-2012, 08:02 PM
I can push my drill in straight when I'm on anything approaching level ground or when I'm not upside down or when I have a nice stable scissors lift. Unfortunately, I can typically have one of those three conditions satisfied

I'll give you a pass for when hanging upside down... or hanging from a rope. =-)